Oct 23, 2015

John Amaechi Boyfriend or Partner and His Straight Allies

Does former NBA basketball player John Amaechi have a boyfriend or partner? If he does, he is keeping it private because we haven't come across any mention of any John Amaechi boyfriend on the interwebs.

Wouldn't it be cool if he dated Lance Bass? Hehe. They sure look good together in this photo:





Pic is from 2006 when the two attended an Oscar viewing party for The Envelope Please.

Another gay guy who would be a cool partner for John would be actor Wilson Cruz. Check 'em out:


What say you, cute couple huh? Pic is from back in 2008 when the two attended the 2008 GLAAD Media Awards.

By the by, it is good and interesting to note that John, although still closeted, had some straight allies when he was still playing pro basketball. He tells us more in his book, Man in the Middle. Excerpt via ESPN:
One night before a game, Greg Ostertag, with whom I'd become close, asked me point-blank in the tunnel, "Ya gay, dude?"
"Greg, you have nothing to worry about," I said. It was clear Greg couldn't have cared less. Looking back, I wish I'd confided in the gentle big man.

The same goes for Andrei Kirilenko, our talented Eastern European small forward. I called him Malinka, Russian for "little one," and our non-American (or "un-American," as I was sometimes accused of being)
backgrounds created an obvious bond.

Sometime after Christmas of my last Utah season, in 2002, Malinka instant-messaged an invitation to his New Year's Eve party. Then he wrote something that brought tears to my eyes: "Please come, John. You
are welcome to bring your partner, if you have one, someone special to you. Who it is makes no difference to me."

I was hosting my own party, so I had to decline his invitation. But I had Ryan deliver Malinka a $500 bottle of Jean Paul Gaultier-dressed champagne. Malinka's generous overture made the season more bearable.

Props to Malinka an Ostertag! For those of you wondering how these two good people are, here are their pics:

First, here's Andrei Kirilenko aka Malinka:


And here's Greg Ostertag: